11 May 2014

Love lock Oberbaumbrücke UPDATE

I wrote earlier that for Valentines Day 2014 we put a love lock on the Oberbaumbrücke, and were so dismayed to see it removed just one month later!

Well this week we were innocently riding by the bridge and saw one guy crouched over the remaining locks and another guy carrying a bucket, looking suspiciously like cut-off locks.

Love lock Oberbaumbrücke Berlin removal

I wanted to know more so I stopped to talk to the guy, firstly asking if I could photograph the bucket of locks. 'Ja Klar'.

Love lock Oberbaumbrücke Berlin removal

I wanted to know a bit more about what was going on (though it's pretty clear what was happening, the city is cleaning up the bridge), so I asked the guy if he worked for the Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg district. He said he didn't and then that's when my German failed me, he said twice something that sounded to me like he worked for (Nord-Berlin). I apologised that my German wasn't good enough, and he said he English is bad too...a chuckle together and he walked off.

Love lock Oberbaumbrücke Berlin removal

So it remains unclear who they worked for, either a contracting company or perhaps the Ordnungs Amt. Whoever they are it is obvious that the city doesn't want the locks on the bridge and this time ALL of them were removed.

Passing by the next day I noticed that a solitary lock has made it onto the bridge...

Love lock Oberbaumbrücke Berlin removal

Good luck to Sofie and Juha, the next generation of naive lovers, whose gesture is destined to have the same fate as our short lived love-lock.

Love lock Oberbaumbrücke Berlin removal

And the canvas is blank once more...

No comments:

Post a Comment